Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Starting out the New Year Steampunk Style

I  had been a dedicated card maker for many years, but in March 2010 I stumbled on my first piece of chunky, industrial, found object, jewelry.  It was love at first sight.  I knew immediately that this was something I wanted to create.  After all I had boxes of broken watches, old jewelry, beads, charms, and gemstones, etc.  I soon made made my first piece out of an old earring, the chain from another necklace, a watch dial, a Tim Holtz game spinner, and a tiny silver charm. Since then I've made hundreds of pieces, but never lost interest in this great diversion.  

Also I've learned this genre of jewelry is called STEAMPUNK.  I love it not only because of the great, diverse elements that can be incorporated into each piece but because it's origins are in a "time that never was".  Out of the works of such great minds as Orson Welles, Jules Verne, and Phillip Pullman come fantastical    blimps, airships, weapons, and adornments.  Each inspired by a "time" when electricity was unknown and steam power ran the world; when adventure was there for the taking - to soar and glide far above the limits of mind and time.

No comments:

Post a Comment